Saturday, January 10, 2009

My New Coat

(Swiped from my Old Blog but still new and relevant for this one!)

I've been pondering the idea for a few weeks now to make a some sort of oversized, wrapped winter coat. My sewing equipment still packaged from the move (3 months ago) was out of sight out of mind until I stumbled across a gem here in the Lower East Side, a Fabric Store named Belraf Fabrics right around the corner from my apartment. As I rummaged through all the treasures I found a huge bolt of black quilted fabric in just the right weight. I expected it to have quite a hefty price tag per yard but the salesman offered it to me at $5/yard. A bargain! In the remnant bin I found the most perfect weight wool felt for the trim, bargains all around!! A grand total of $37 and I was on my way home. I dug out all my sewing and design equipment and I was on my way. A few hours later (I think 5) and I had my coat ready for a test drive in the cold NYC winter night. Ankle length, drop shoulders, enlarged sleeves, pockets, silk lining and wool trim make it extra sleepingbag-esque, perfect for the cold. Much to my surprise its actually very cozy, completely impermeable to the wind, and extra warm! Instead of some boring tie closure I use one of my vintage beaded belts to jazz it up alittle, it really adds that perfect little extra something.

Let me know what you think!!




4 comments:

The Six Six Sick Girls said...

Hey Peter!

Nice to see you online, we added you to our inspiration board!

I hope to see you out more often now. Happy New Year!!!!

xxx,
Tiffany

LENORENEVERMORE said...

Hi Peter darling! Thanks for letting me know about your new blog. The coat looks really cozy-fabulous! Hope you have more inspirations & keep your fabulous dream/fashion alive dear! ~Blessings as always*

P.S: check out this fashion blogs; you might like them perhaps =

mondblog.blogspot.com
&
couturecarrie.blogspot.com
&
www.stylediscovery.com.au

~Have fun darling!

*L said...

holy moly. im impressed on so many levels (ie: time, talent, function, creativity..) I can't wait to see what else you whip up.

yay for a new blog + new year!

Lauren

Emerson Merrick said...

Yay, i can't wait to see whats next!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...